Kerabu Angel Hair Pasta
This dish is a twist to the original 'nonya kerabu bee hoon'. The vermicelli (bee hoon) has been replaced with angel hair pasta as angel hair pasta has better bite. This dish is great for tea parties or as a light lunch. The good thing about this dish, is it can be served warm as well as cold, which means you can prepare it a few hours before your party. And when the party starts, you can have time to relax and enjoy your meal with your guests.
- 250 g Angel hair pasta, cooked according to packet instructions, till "al dente"
200g shrimps, shelled leaving tails intact, marinated with 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoons salt
¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 2 -3 tablespoons sambal belachan
6 tablespoons kalamansi lime juice or to taste
2 teaspoons salt or to taste
1 teaspoon chicken stock granules
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 shallots, peeled and sliced
1 wild ginger flower (bunga kiantan), sliced thinly
A small handful of mint leaves
2-3 tablespoons grated coconut, toasted until light brown (kerisek)
- Extra mint leaves
Extra toasted coconut "kerisek"
- To prepare shrimps: Bring water to a boil and add in marinated shrimps. Remove once they are cooked. Set aside and retain the shrimp stock for later use.
- To prepare kerisek or toasted coconut: Heat wok over low heat, slowly dry fry 50g of grated coconut, stir continuously until golden brown. Leave to cool and set aside.
- To assemble:
- In a large mixing bowl, mix Ingredients A together.
- Toss in shrimps, shrimps stock, angel hair pasta, and Ingredients B.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Serve immediately, garnishing with extra mint leaves and some kerisek on the top.
- To prepare Sambal Belachan:
- 8 fresh red chillies, washed and sliced coarsely
- 3 chilli padi, washed and sliced
- 40g toasted shrimp paste (belachan)
- Using a wok or non-stick pan, slowly pan fry the shrimp paste over low heat until light brown.
- Pound the above ingredients using a mortar. Keep in a container in the fridge and use whenever required. Stores well up to a week.