Frozen Mango-Cream Cakes
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
1 ounce salted dry-roasted macadamia nuts (about 1/4 cup)
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 envelope unflavored gelatin (1 scant tablespoon)
2 firm but ripe mangoes, peeled (each about 1 pound)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat inside of 8 ring molds (each about 2 inches high and 2 3/4 inches in diameter) with cooking spray. Place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Make the crust: Pulse macadamia nuts and granulated sugar in a food processor until finely ground. In a bowl, combine nuts, flour, and butter with a fork until mixture resembles coarse meal. Spoon a generous tablespoon of the mixture into each mold, and press into bottom. Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Let cool.
- Make the mousse: Pour orange juice into a small saucepan. Sprinkle with gelatin, and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes. Heat over low heat, stirring, until dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Start with a firm but ripe mango. To remove the skin without wasting any of the juicy flesh, use a vegetable peeler. Then, with a knife, carefully slice the fruit lengthwise along both sides of the seed. Cut one-quarter of one mango into 1/8-inch-thick slices for garnish (halve large slices); cover, and refrigerate. Coarsely chop remaining mangoes. In a blender, puree chopped mangoes, granulated sugar, and lemon juice until smooth. With machine running, add gelatin mixture in a slow, steady stream, and blend until combined. Transfer to a bowl.
- With a whisk or an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream until soft peaks form. Add confectioners' sugar, and beat until soft peaks return. Whisk one-third of the whipped cream into the mango mixture. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in remaining whipped cream.
- Divide mousse among molds, filling three-quarters full. Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours (up to 1 week).
- When ready to serve, let cakes stand at room temperature for 5 minutes. Gently push up from bottoms to unmold. Transfer cakes to serving plates; let stand 10 minutes to soften slightly. Serve garnished with mango slices.