Japanese tofu steak with Asian greens and brown rice
INGREDIENTS: (Serves 4)
- 60ml (¼ cup) light soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
600g firm tofu
60ml (¼ cup) peanut oil
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 zucchini, sliced
1 red capsicum, deseeded, cut into strips
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
1/2 cup cornflour, to dust
1 tbsp sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- Whisk together the soy sauce, mirin and sesame oil, set aside. Cut the tofu into 8 x 1.5cm thick steaks.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan on high. Add the garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds, add the zucchini, capsicum and asparagus and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until light golden. Remove from pan, set aside and keep warm.
- Place the cornflour on a large flat plate and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Dust each tofu steak in the mixture. Wipe pan clean, add remaining oil and return to high heat. Add tofu in batches and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden brown and crisp.
- Divide the vegetables between 4 serving plates, top with 2 tofu steaks, drizzle the tofu with the reserved sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with steamed brown rice.