Marinated tofu steaks with rocket salad
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 2 x 320g pkts firm nigari tofu (like Soyco brand)
2 green shallots, trimmed, finely chopped
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
1 tsp wasabi paste
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 bunch rocket, ends trimmed, washed, dried, torn into small pieces
5 green shallots, trimmed, cut into 6cm-long thin strips
50g snow pea sprouts, ends trimmed
1 nori sheet, halved, finely shredded crossways
1 tbs white vinegar
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp caster sugar
1/4 tsp wasabi paste
1 small garlic clove, crushed
Freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the tofu in half crossways and then cut each half horizontally into 1.5cm-thick slices. Place in a large glass or ceramic bowl.
- Combine the green shallots, soy sauce, sesame seeds, ginger, wasabi and garlic in a small bowl and mix well. Pour over the tofu slices and turn the tofu to coat in the mixture. Cover and set aside for 1 hour to marinate.
- Close to serving, preheat a large non-stick frying pan or barbecue plate on medium.
- To make the rocket salad, place the rocket, green shallots, snow pea sprouts and nori sheet in a large bowl.
- Place the vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, wasabi, garlic and pepper in a screw-top jar and shake well to combine. Set aside until serving.
- Cook the tofu steaks in preheated pan or on barbecue for 2-3 minutes each side or until browned. Place 2 tofu steaks on each serving plate and top with the rocket salad. Drizzle with the dressing and serve immediately.