Agedashi with buckwheat noodles
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 8 dried shitake mushrooms
1 tsp dashi granules
20ml (1 tbs) light soy sauce
20ml (1 tbs) dark soy sauce
40ml (2 tbs) mirin
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp cornflour
1 carrot, peeled, thinly sliced
2 shallots, thinly sliced
60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
300g firm tofu, quartered
1 tbs flour, to dust
200g soba noodles, cooked, drained
- Soak mushrooms for 10 minutes in 1/2 cup of boiling water. Drain and discard liquid. Set aside.
- Place dashi in a pan with 250ml hot water over medium heat. Add the sauces, sugar, cornflour and mushrooms. Simmer for 3 minutes, then add the carrot and shallots.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Pat tofu dry with paper towel, then dip in flour that has been seasoned with salt and pepper. Fry tofu for 1 minute each side until golden.
- Place noodles in bowls, add a piece of tofu and pour over broth.